OFFLIST:Re: [governance] Separate statement on themes for Vilnius

Parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Sun Feb 7 01:17:26 EST 2010

McTim wrote:

>> of 'internet rights and principles' can provide the basis for a more
>> comprehensive conceptual framework for IG."
>>

> I still don't know what "Internet rights and principles" means.

It is difficult to get into that discussion now... w e have done it
earlier often and the caucus seems to have overwhelmingly endorsed the
concept. Now if at the last moment of trying a statement you say you
dont know what it means, not much can I do about it. Thats the very name
of the proposed theme, and i think it was proposed in a couple of
statements last year, in fact, i think as the overarching theme of the
IGF itself..
> I note that the above changes do not address the  "rights-based"
> discourse text that Jeannette warned us about.
>
> I have no idea what this means either: "The change in the technical
> methods of communication often undermines pre-existing understandings
> of how to apply legal categories. "

Simple. That as HR extra texts are written at present, they may need to
be reinterpreted in their application to the current situation where new
means of communication are bringing about far reaching changes at many
levels...

It is up to the coordinators now to put the text for consensus call or
not - and do it without the part of 'internet rights and principles' or
with it. I propose we propose all the three themes, since there is a
standing agreement in the caucus about them. But the call must go out
now. Otherwise it will be too late.

Also ,McTim, as per your last email raising process issues, I think you
are trying to apply methods of technical elists to the working of this
group. The subjects, contexts and thus the methods may have to be very
different here....

Parminder