[governance] IPv6 address allocations to DOD

William Drake william.drake at graduateinstitute.ch
Fri Feb 5 05:06:44 EST 2010

Hi Milton,

On Feb 4, 2010, at 7:07 PM, Milton L Mueller wrote:

> Good grief. No one is talking about "denying access to knowledge" to aynone, so stop posturing.

Wasn't. You appeared to be saying we shouldn't do it due to the risk of indoctrination and people should just join RIR lists and go to ICANN meetings, which I thought was a bit dismissive and unrealistic.

> I am just explaining to you why you have found these issues to be boring in the past and why they don't need to be.

Thanks for explaining my thinking to me, your eminence :-)  Did you giggle as much when writing this as I did when reading it?

> The recipe for successful workshops on these topics is clear: _don't_ make it into tutorials controlled by institutions with a vested interest; _do_ include competing and conflicting policy perspectives. We seem to be in agreement on that.

Great, we're in agreement, it could be useful if done right.  Let's circle back sometime and flesh it out under a different subject line, if you're interested.  Maybe this could be done as a collaboration between ISOC/admin orgs and GigaNet, IGC, CSOs...

Cheers,

Bill

> From: William Drake [william.drake at graduateinstitute.ch]
>
> So we shouldn't allow people who could use some technical capacity building to get it because they might drink a bit of kool-aid and acquire false consciousness in the process?  I don't agree.  There are a lot of people attending IGFs who don't have strong technical backgrounds and could benefit from some well presented nuts and bolts, how does stuff work material.  Their ability to formulate judgements on how IPVG sub-netting should or could work would be enhanced if first they could find out what IPVG sub-netting is and why it matters.  And with respect to the second step, should or could work, there's no reason such sessions couldn't include presentations by people with different points of view.  Personally, I would be very happy to attend a session that walked through the basics and then had you and McTim debating the merits of different approaches to the governance dimensions.  We'd just need to have an open and participatory process of designing and staffing the sessions, rather than simply handing responsibility to organizations that might offer singular answers to contestable questions.
>
> This strikes me as a far better approach than simply denying people access to knowledge out of fear they might hear stuff you think is slanted.  Moreover, insofar as most if not all IGF attendees are already aware that there are politics and material interests involved, I wouldn't presume that people are so naive and impressionable that they need to be protected and are better off not knowing the nuts and bolts.

William J. Drake
Senior Associate
Centre for International Governance
Graduate Institute of International and