[governance] IPv6 address allocations to DOD

John Curran jcurran at arin.net
Wed Feb 3 15:50:08 EST 2010

On Feb 4, 2010, at 6:36 AM, Milton L Mueller wrote:

> Problem is, Bill, the politics are deeply embedded in the technology. You have to know both. Compare McTim's description of "needs-based allocations" to mine in my last message. No, the last thing we need are the RIRs and ISOC lecturing about how IP address allocation is all based on rational technical criteria and couldn't possibly be done any other way. If you want a real glimpse into the political issues and problems posed in this area, you have to go onto their policy lists and (yes) sink or swim in the techno-jargon until you figure out what is really going on. The RIRs' policy lists have truly fascinating, honest, bare-all, bare-knuckled policy fights where the real stakes come out on display. Put the same people in front of an IGF main session or tutorial, on the other hand, and suddenly it's a bland, mainstreamed session delivering the party line and pretending there's nothing contentious about any of it....zzzzz.
>
> Actually at ICANN meetings there are some pretty darn good tutorials. That's because the audience at ICANN is more heterogeneous and includes business people, lawyers, governments and NGOs as well as techies. If you wanted to catch up on dnssec issues or IDN policy issues or other vexatious intersections between tech standards and policies, some of the icann workshops have been good. They, too have their party line to promote but typically there's a clueful enough audience to afford the opportunity for some debate and dialogue.

Milton is correct in his second point, in that there have been some very
good tutorials at ICANN regarding the Internet number resource policy.
I'll leave judgement of his first point to the reader, since the very
good tutorials at ICANN have been presenters from the RIR community,
and are the result of specific outreach that has occurred between ICANN
and the RIRs to provide background information to the wider community.

Better yet, I'd welcome folks to join the RIRs policy mailing lists
as they are open to all and judge for yourself.

For ARIN, Background educational material is available here:
<https://www.arin.net/knowledge/index.html>
and information about getting involved and ARIN's Public Policy Mailing
list is here: <https://www.arin.net/participate/index.html>

Enjoy,
/John

John Curran