[governance] Re: How to Prevent Cyber War

Stephane Bortzmeyer bortzmeyer at internatif.org
Wed Feb 3 04:28:01 EST 2010

On Tue, Feb 02, 2010 at 03:32:53AM -0800,
 Imran Ahmed Shah <ias_pk at yahoo.com> wrote
 a message of 230 lines which said:

> Dear McTim, do you really agree on the opinion against the rights of
> a country to protect them and to be aware of the threats which may
> be used against them just by utilizing their ccTLD name space or the
> internet from their region? I am in favor of providing Internet
> facility but I said that country should keep monitoring mass traffic
> source.

Whether we think it is a good idea or not to "keep monitoring mass traffic
source", McTim's point was that there is zero relationship with the
ccTLD name space. As McTim said (and, for once, I agree with him), you
do not need a domain name to launch an attack.

In a famous and documented case, the Pakistan Telecom involuntary
attack against YouTube
<http://www.cs.columbia.edu/~smb/blog/2008-02/2008-02-24.html>, there
was zero DNS trick involved, everything was done with BGP and the fact
that the attacker had a ".pk" domain name was completely irrelevant.

So, Internet security is an important point but, it has very little to
do with the registration policies of ccTLD.
     governance at lists.cpsr.org