[governance] F.Y.I.: Pay Attention to this thread @ ALAC

Yehuda Katz yehudakatz at mailinator.com
Tue Feb 2 09:07:26 EST 2010

F.Y.I.: Pay Attention to this thread @ ALAC

http://atlarge-lists.icann.org/pipermail/alac_atlarge-lists.icann.org/2010/001104.html

http://atlarge-lists.icann.org/pipermail/alac_atlarge-lists.icann.org/2010/thread.html

-

Yesterday I framed Michael Gurstein's theme of "Right to Internet Development"
as:

'The Power of Process to the People', which enables them to Evolve, and as a
result, shape the Internet into life.

"Rights" will inevitably manifest themselves to the NameSpace (Domain Name).
The 'Policy' surrounding the NameSpace inevitably shape that NameSpace
character.
Enabling People through: 'The Power of Process to the People', should be the
focus, so that when the edge of the Internet reaches Them, they have the
ability* to create the Space in their Image (tradition, folklore, flavor).

Net Neutrality et. al. it encompasses) is important no-doubt, but to my way of
thinking, getting the tools (enabling processes) too the People, the pathways
of process, the roads to progress, enabling their expression, in the NameSpce
they call their own, is paramount.
If we choose to Focus on the Technology, we risk loosing the opportunity to
create systems that employ 'Rights' which enable people to thrive.
(that is, We might as well hang it up ... Welcome to McInternet, would you like
to SuperSize you order?...)

If I had to choose between the iTechnology and People, I choose People.

-

*Ability to fulfill their lives through Rights that enable thier development
(Processes).
     governance at lists.cpsr.org