[governance] How to Prevent Cyber War

Sivasubramanian Muthusamy isolatedn at gmail.com
Tue Feb 2 03:07:07 EST 2010

Hello

( I will make more comments after I find the text of this speech at Davos.
But for now, there are a few comments inline.)

On Tue, Feb 2, 2010 at 11:46 AM, Imran Ahmed Shah <ias_pk at yahoo.com> wrote:

> *How to Prevent Cyber War*
>
> Experts think that the warning from Secretary General of UN communications
> and technology agency International Telecommunications Union, Mr Hamadoun
> Toure at World Economic Forum can prevent Cyber War between different
> nations. He proposed a treaty in which countries would engage not to make
> the first cyber strike against another nation.

No country that indulges in Cyber War declares a war and wages it in a
manner akin to how it happens in the real world. Cyber attacks are covert
attacks, not transparent attacks.

> Google claims regarding attacks from China has become a major issue and it
> was a major talking point in Davos. Hamadoun Toure said that the risk of a
> cyber conflict between two nations grows every year.
>
> Now it is need of the time to sign up treaty for all countries and first of
> all from China. But who will define that who is right and who is wrong?
> Today anyone can obtain any kind of domain name and can host it anywhere
> that may be accessible from any other corner of the world.

The subtle message of the Cyber Treaty proposal is to bring in a system
whereby all Internet traffic would be traced back to the user.

> Similarly Internet is accessible to every one.

But this would actually take shape to make the Internet inaccessible to the
citizens of control regimes.

> China has decline the google claim that they are not involved in such kind
> of attack on Google. Well, but China has to take care about the domain
> registrations with .cn ccTLD and all Data Centers of the country.
>
> China and Google is the first case but *I would like to recommend to
> Government Authorities, ICT Policy makers/implementers, and Stakeholders of
> each country* *to STOP issuance of new domain names (registrations) with
> their ccTLD name space and hosting-services from their data-centers to
> non-citizens immediately. Second step is to re-evaluate the existing domain
> names & hosting and formulate a methodology to constantly monitoring and
> record the internet traffic to and from existing ccTLD domain names (hosted
> inland).*

Brilliant. Inventive. Genius. These proposals make ccTLD space
geographically confined. And would make Internet almost indistinguishable
from Telephones.

> These actions will prevent misuse of ccTLD name space and protect the
> nations pulling into the cyber war. If they found any misuse or moderate
> traffic from a domain, immediately the information has to be passed to the
> UN communications and technology agency.
>
> These steps may be very helpful to create confidence between nations and
> will keep building up the trust on One World, One Internet, Everyone
> Connected.

These steps would be very helpful to shatter the concept of One World, One
Internet and ensure that not everyone is connected.

The trust between nations is very much necessary for neutrality and openness
> of the Internet

Neutrality and Openness would be gone.

> and especially for the future Layers of new Localized Global Layer of the
> Linguistic Internet.

Localized Global ???  This Oxymoron shows.

Sivasubramanian Muthusamy