[governance] Re: My note on CSTD IGF WG consultation Dec 17

Avri Doria avri at acm.org
Wed Dec 22 10:35:20 EST 2010

On 22 Dec 2010, at 07:43, Izumi AIZU wrote:

> Then if we select 5, whether we will join ICC for private sector
> WG members and ISOC for Tech/Academic community and
> present 15 (if not IGOs), will be an important strategic decision
> worth to discuss on this list. This is, what I call "function" first.

Is it: Intergovernmental Governmental Organizations  or International Organizations.

I have heard both used.

The reason i am curious is that IGO pretty much already have an open pass to anything the UN does, as I understand it, so I am not sure why thee would be a specific IGO group.  Also even if there were, I do not understand why it would be in the non-governemental half of the group.

> I think it is a little premature to come up with its own names
> or Domain names for the new cross-sector mechanism.

In  my mind, i am framing this as an open dialogue on internet governance and, among other thoughts, i think it would be a mistake to treat it as rooted in the IGF.  IGF is part of it, but we should probably avoid  treating the IGF as the root part it.  I also think that we should enable this to grow beyond UN initiation and control - it is all well and good that the UN GA looks like it is going to give people the right to continue talking about Internet governance in a multistakeholder environment for another 5 years, but one improvement I would hope we achieve over the next 5 years is to untie the apron strings so that  in 2015, if the participants in a global open dialogue on Internet governance want to continue talking, they can do so without the UN GA's by-your-leave, i.e. permission from a liege.

     governance at lists.cpsr.org