AW: [governance] VS: Next Steps

Avri Doria avri at acm.org
Tue Dec 21 07:56:14 EST 2010

On 21 Dec 2010, at 05:38, Kleinwächter, Wolfgang wrote:

> Before discussing in detail a Plan B or C, we should try to form a strong "Group of the 20" which would work inside the WG on IGF Improvement and would have the capacity (and legitimacy) to produce, if needed, a "minority report" if no consensus between the (majority of) governmental and (the minority of) non-governmental members of the group is achievable until May 2011.

I actually think this begins to be the start of a possible  plan C.

The group of 20 is formed and it maintains its own coherency (Plan C - for a Coherent group of the other stakeholders) as a group while working with the governments in so far as they are allowed to do so.  My assumption being is that the more coordinated the Group of 20 is, in terms of process, at least, the better chance they have of 'fuller' forms of participation.  We have to find way to get beyond this notion that only governments can make decisions and recommendations and this group f 20 may be the ones to work on that.

So, the IGC has a list of 10 possible candidates for the 5.  Are any of these viable candidates for the academic and technical community in order to maximize the placement of those chosen. Did we do sufficient outreach in forming that group to have included people who are not IGC regulars in the group of proposed members? Who chooses the Academics and Technical Community members?  Who chooses business?  Who chooses International organizations?

Probably need for the co-cordinators, or maybe someone designated by the co-cordinators, to do outreach to the movers and shakers in the other stakeholders group to see how we form/coordinate this beast.  I think it might be interesting if the stakeholder groups could actually present the proposed Group of 20 to the Chair.

a.

     governance at lists.cpsr.org