[governance] VS: Next Steps

Roland Perry roland at internetpolicyagency.com
Tue Dec 21 05:02:46 EST 2010

In message
<AANLkTin0JA45Y95Mfj7DNKduqgrUuoZLv0zzGARywSnZ at mail.gmail.com>, at
12:29:40 on Tue, 21 Dec 2010, Izumi AIZU <iza at anr.org> writes
>The chair said right after the lunch break:
>
>"As chair, I listened carefully.
>Commonly agreed that all stakeholders should be inclusive for the WG.
>Here is Chair's proposal for your consideration.
>
>We have 15 from Stakeholders plus International Organizations.
>From 15, 5 from Academic and Technical community
>5 from Civil Society and 5 from the business group.
>The leadership of these organizations will be able to select
>representatives to join the member states of WG."
>
>She didn't say how directly, but this was what she said.

That sounds like a more sensible plan than a "black box", if they are
trying to get a report finished off early next year. The original
roadmap said:

        "The vice Chair of the CSTD will call for a second [now the
        first - ed] face-to-face meeting of the Working Group in the
        first half of February 2011. The purpose of the meeting is to
        examine the outcome of the open and inclusive on-line and
        face-to-face consultations and agree on the set of
        recommendations that will be included in the final report of the

        "Drafting of the final report of the CSTD WG on IGF

        "A report containing  recommendations as agreed by the CSTD WG
        on IGF, and taking into account the outcomes of the various open
        and inclusive consultations, will be finalized by the CSTD
        Secretariat and cleared by the Chair of the working group and
        then submitted for consideration by the CSTD at its 14th annual
        session, scheduled to take place in Geneva from 23-27 May 2011.
        This report, if endorsed by the CSTD, is to constitute an input
        from the Commission to the General Assembly through ECOSOC.

I'm also wondering how many of the WG members will have attended IGF
meetings, and is that a required qualification?

No doubt we'll also be keenly awaiting the IGF's regular prep meeting on
(?to be confirmed?) 23rd/24th February, where there will perhaps be some
discussion of new secretariat arrangements, and possibly set a date and
agenda for the Nairobi meeting - which is approaching fast. As suspected
earlier this year, it's unlikely that any of the "improvements" will be
in place in time for the 6th IGF, unless they are sufficiently easy to
do within the current framework.

Not forgetting that alongside all this we have possible "plan B/C" and a
report about Enhanced CoOperatio also heading for that same ECOSOC
meeting (and possibly the earlier CSTD meeting). And over in ICANN land
there's the GAC/Board special meeting in February, plus new gTLDs still
scheduled for launch in the early Summer.
--
Roland Perry
     governance at lists.cpsr.org