[governance] Re: Final score in CSTD consultations ??

Izumi AIZU aizu at anr.org
Fri Dec 17 17:28:03 EST 2010

Well, to be frank and maybe naiive, the discussion today here in Geneva,
following the decision on Dec 6 on WG composition, I have slightly
different view than the one expressed in this article.

The majority of the government people gathered here today, in Geneva
are the mission people, foreign affairs people, and also those in charge
of CSTD, Science and Technology for development, but not much of
those from ICT, Internet policy, IGF - type of people. Their interest and
focus is to keep the government control of power in general, rather than
directly aiming at the taking control of the Internet (governance).

Yes there are some member states who have more focus and understanding
of their interest in putting more control on Internet resource management,
I did not have the impression that they are targeting that per se here.
Maybe that is the major focus of Enhanced Cooperation, but not IGF.

Even those governments trying to reserve their sovereign rights to make
decisions, over non-gov entities, there is no strong push to exclude
us, in the room, but they don't accept that non-govs will have the equal
right in making decisions. They did not bother to define what kind of
decisions though.

So while I have no illusion about certain governments to seek the power
and control over their people, directly combining that with CIR control
in an emotional manner may not be that productive.

izumi
     governance at lists.cpsr.org