[governance] Re: Final score in CSTD consultations ??

Izumi AIZU aizu at anr.org
Fri Dec 17 17:07:13 EST 2010

Sorry for the delay. Now back at the hotel, munching some bread.

Well, as I put in the previous thread, Round III, they all reached the
consensus of the text. Both sides kind of compromised for some words
against other.

In essence, the non-governmental stakeholders were "invited" to the WG,
but not as the fully fledged member, but as the guest, or as "second
class citizen"
which has been used many times during the negotiation.

The US, EU and other MSH friendly governments did not really insist on the
pure equal footing of non-governmental actors in the WG.  There was a proposal
from Iran, I guess to have only 2 from each sector, not 5. The Chair sort of
insisted that they be 5 each, provided that the status of these non-gov actors
are lower than the gov members.

So OECD governments, let's say became somewhat relived by seeing at least
there be some members from CS, PS and tech and academia inside the WG,
not with the full membership, nor the "observer" - can participate in the debate
and deliberations, but not at the decision making. Well that's how
most governments
accept.

So then the focus of the debate went to the "rules of the procedures
of ECOSOC and
CSTD" - how much to impose these to non-gov actors.
"in accordance with" was sort of first version, then Greece proposed:
"bearing in mind"... at one time it was dropped, then came back, then
Mexico questioned
the secretariat if there is any CSTD rules of procedure. The answer was No, only
functional commissions of the CSTD has rules of procedures, but not CSTD itself.
So they dropped reference of CSTD and only left ECOSOC.

There are some details where the devils or the angels may reside but no one
had the energy to visit the details - say how to select the civil
society members,
etc.

Of course, the outcome is far from satisfactory. Better than the Dec 6 decision?
I think yes.  Worth to pull the plug? I don't think so, at least at
this stage, no.

Frankly, we did not have that much coherent move, yet. We do not have
active work of strategy, outreach and work plan, yet. I mean it is not too late
to work on these and define what exactly we like to gain, nor not to lose and
then head to the next round.

Simply boycotting AT THIS STAGE doesn't give much gain, IMHO.

Thanks,

izumi

(gimme a break).

--