[governance] Re: The due diligence process for ICANN NomCom appointees

Avri Doria avri at acm.org
Fri Dec 17 09:54:44 EST 2010

Dear Adam,

Thanks for notification of these changes, they seem like steps in the right direction.

Unfortunately, to my mind, legal staff and perhaps others, are still involved in the parts of the process that should be secret due to privacy concerns.  So my warning to be careful and consider carefully still stands.

I know that for myself, after years of having applications in the front of the Nomcom, over half of which were successful, I have withdrawn my name from consideration by any group that has ICANN staff involvement.  I am saying that so that people don't assume I am recommending care and possible avoidance of a process I will be taking advantage of.  In my view, until such time as ICANN Staff is replaced in the Nomcom process by an outside contractor I do not believe the process can be trusted.   The ICANN Staff should not be in the position to affect the choice of volunteers by either acts of commission or omission, nor should they be hold private information about Directors and other volunteers.  I am _not_ making claims that the private information has been misused, the situation is too opaque for me to know, but the situation is such that it could happen and it looks like it could happen.  This is a situation that  I believe needs to be remedied.

I also add that I am saying this as someone who is strongly supportive of ICANN and its progress towards becoming a  genuinely multistakeholder organization, and as someone who believes in the ICANN Nomcom process, despite wanting to see it improved.

a.

     governance at lists.cpsr.org