[governance] Draft IGC statement at CSTD IGF Consultation Friday

Bertrand de La Chapelle bdelachapelle at gmail.com
Thu Dec 16 10:17:33 EST 2010

Roland,

On Thu, Dec 16, 2010 at 3:35 PM, Roland Perry <
roland at internetpolicyagency.com> wrote:

>  WSIS accreditation is outdated (Facebook and Twitter could not participate
>> if they wanted to ??)
>>

> But they can join a trade/lobbying association which has a seat at the
> table, or there are other ways to join the 'club'. I was at more than one
> OECD meeting last year where YouTube were sat at the table, for example.
>
> I do see the point. Of course there is always the solution of using a sort
of proxy : having some accredited participants in the WSIS serving as
umbrella for any actor in their stakeholder group that is not formally
accredited. Could be ISOC, APC or any other CS entity for CS actors; and ICC
Basis or any other trade association for business actors.

But this is at best a patch. Not to mention that it would make these
organizations as gate-keepers, something they may not want. And how would
people speak once inside the room ? Should they mention their real
organization or the one that "accredited" them ? Remember the attempts by
some well-intentioned governments (Switzerland for instance) during WSIS,
when they included CS in their delegations and nobody knew who these
participants were speaking on behalf of.

The IGF (and ICANN by the way) has established a practice that works (in
spite of all odds) : allowing any concerned actor to take part in the
policy-shaping. It is this positive practice that should spread, instead of
seeing the principle of accreditation crawling back into the IGF.

B.

--
Bertrand de La Chapelle

"Le plus beau métier des hommes, c'est d'unir les hommes" Antoine de Saint
Exupéry
("there is no greater mission for humans than uniting humans")