[governance] Bottom line on MSH (for CSTD meeting tomorrow)

Bertrand de La Chapelle bdelachapelle at gmail.com
Thu Dec 16 06:40:51 EST 2010

Dear all,

One simple and important argument should be constantly kept in mind in
debating MSH (beyond arguing in favor if its benefits) : 180 governments in
Geneva and Tunis solemnly have affirmed that Internet Governance should be
multi-stakeholder. However you read the documents adopted in WSIS, that's
what they say. Pretending otherwise is disingenuous.

Reverting to a purely intergovernmental approach (as seems to be currently
the trend) is nothing else than a betrayal - in letter and spirit - of the
commitments made at the highest level.

Debating the "respective roles and responsibilities" of the different
stakeholders cannot amount to saying that some are kept in the room (behind
closed doors) and the other ones are kicked out - again.

Bottom line, in light of WSIS principles, any purely intergovernmental
process should be considered illegitimate and its outcomes void of consent
by the "governed".

Best

Bertrand

On Thu, Dec 16, 2010 at 6:20 AM, Izumi AIZU <aizu at anr.org> wrote:

> Dear Marilia and all, without knowing this, I was writing to ask you all
> to contribute this kind of messages, so this is very much welcome!
>

> What I started to write is as follows:
>
> Need for enhanced multistakeholder approach
>
> - Why multistakeholder so important?
> - What are the specific benefits of MSH approach for Internet
> governance itself and discussing about Internet governance such as
> CSTD IGF WG and EC consultation proces
> - What are the specific risks or problems of excluding
> non-governmental actors in the process
>
> So, instead of just repeating the importance of MSH, I think we should also
> prepare in concise language to explain why MSH is so important and benefits
> us all.
>
> Jeremy, in addition to wiki, which is great of course, could we prepare
> some
> portion of our current website that allow putting these materials as
> "reference"
> so that we can share our knowledge - ongoing.
>
> Well, I should do that, but not yet familiar with dealing with the CMS,
> if you could do that that will be great.
>
> izumi
>

> 2010/12/16 Jeremy Malcolm <jeremy at ciroap.org>:
> > On 16/12/2010, at 11:59 AM, Marilia Maciel wrote:
> >
> > If the coordinators believe it is useful, this doc could be upload (do we
> > have a wiki?) for corrections, comments, detailing, etc. This way we
> would
> > always have an updated text and would have access to important
> references,
> > resolutions numbers, etc more easily.
> >
> > Thanks Marilia, this is really useful.  We will have a wiki, and this
> will
> > be part of it.  I'll be working on significant improvements to the IGC
> Web
> > site over Christmas (ho ho ho).
> > --
> >
> > Jeremy Malcolm
> > Project Coordinator
> > Consumers International
> > Kuala Lumpur Office for Asia Pacific and the Middle East
> > Lot 5-1 Wisma WIM, 7 Jalan Abang Haji Openg, TTDI, 60000 Kuala Lumpur,
> > Malaysia
> > Tel: +60 3 7726 1599
> >
> > CI is 50
> > Consumers International marks 50 years of the global consumer movement in
> > 2010.
> > Celebrate with us as we continue to support, promote and protect consumer
> > rights around the world.
> > http://www.consumersinternational.org/50
> >
> > Read our email confidentiality notice. Don't print this email unless
> > necessary.
> >

> --
>                         >> Izumi Aizu <<
>
>           Institute for InfoSocionomics, Tama University, Tokyo
>
>            Institute for HyperNetwork Society, Oita,
>                                   Japan
>                                  * * * * *
>            << Writing the Future of the History >>
>                                 www.anr.org

Bertrand de La Chapelle
Tel : +33 (0)6 11 88 33 32

"Le plus beau métier des hommes, c'est d'unir les hommes" Antoine de Saint
Exupéry
("there is no greater mission for humans than uniting humans")