[governance] Fwd: Sha's closing remarks

Fouad Bajwa fouadbajwa at gmail.com
Wed Dec 15 18:42:32 EST 2010

Interestingly the document seems to be developed before the
consultation and handed out as part of an ending process of the
meeting..............as an understood method that what would be
discussed...........a diplomatic endorsement of course.......what
comes to mind now is where is all this is leading to.

1. From the following ending paragraph, it can be seen that these
points are to be reflected in the Secretary-General's report on
enhanced cooperation, to be conveyed to the 66th Session of the
General Assembly through the Economic and Social Council in 2011:
"Similar to the consultation process to consider the desirability of
continuation of the Internet Governance Forum, the views expressed
through written contributions and the opinions expressed today will be
reflected in the Secretary-General's report on enhanced cooperation,
to be conveyed to the 66th Session of the General Assembly through the
Economic and Social Council in 2011. Excellencies, Ladies and
Gentlemen, The open consultation on enhanced cooperation on public
policy issues pertaining to the Internet is now adjourned. Thank you."

2. These are part of the open consultations on enhanced cooperation on
public policy issues pertaining to the Internet.

3. How are governments treating the issue of enhanced cooperation,
something they want to keep amongst themselves or something they may
be willing to share with all stakeholder groups within IGF as an
inclusive, open and transparent process with regards to public policy
pertaining to the Internet.

4. How will IGC respond to this now?

On Thu, Dec 16, 2010 at 4:20 AM, Roland Perry
<roland at internetpolicyagency.com> wrote:
> In message <E180A591-192B-4BA1-BACF-8908B269C102 at acm.org>, at 17:20:53 on
> Wed, 15 Dec 2010, Avri Doria <avri at acm.org> writes
>
>> [ A MIME application / pdf part was included here. ]
>
> Thanks for posting that.
>
> It's the formal closing statement which he didn't read out, on the grounds
> that "everyone in the room has a copy". Which was unfortunate for the remote
> participants :(
>
> The last paragraph describes what "happens next" - same message as I had
> pieced together in an email to this list earlier today. The statement isn't
> intended to reflect anything said from the floor on the day.
>
> He also said some unscripted things, for which we don't have a transcript,
> but the link to the archived webcast (of the afternoon) has been widely
> circulated.
> --
> Roland Perry

Regards.