[governance] New York - EC consultation

Roland Perry roland at internetpolicyagency.com
Wed Dec 15 17:57:10 EST 2010

In message
<AANLkTi=4t6YhD_xvBi6wF8c36wiY79k_ajFrgoin3-b7 at mail.gmail.com>, at
03:17:21 on Thu, 16 Dec 2010, Fouad Bajwa <fouadbajwa at gmail.com> writes
>Don't they leave out most of the stakeholders when they say CS with
>consultative status only?

I think the point is that everyone has had five years "amnesty" to
decide if they want to apply for consultative status, currently (in some
cases for longer) including: ICC, APC, IT for Change, Réseaux IP
européens [my former client] and ISOC.

Of course, there's also been five years to persuade CSTD to allow a
wider audience on a more permanent basis, for their WGs as well as their
main sessions. And I think there's been progress here - they are having
their third genuinely open consultation in a row later this week, even
if the "drafting the communique" part has become a government-only
group. And the main sessions last May had several "non-member"
panellists invited to speak.

There's two strategies for any stakeholder group to develop - getting a
proper seat at the table in the medium term, but also getting your
opinions listened to in the short term. I'm not convinced that the
latter is a huge obstacle as long as you approach it sensitively, and
doing that successfully a few times often makes the former much easier.

--
Roland Perry
     governance at lists.cpsr.org