[governance] New York - EC consultation

Roland Perry roland at internetpolicyagency.com
Wed Dec 15 15:38:36 EST 2010

In message <AANLkTi=p2CSi6B7FkCqYrKaOq_fpEhT8CyN44SBQp7gT at mail.gmail.com
>, at 00:43:12 on Thu, 16 Dec 2010, Fouad Bajwa <fouadbajwa at gmail.com>
writes
>But so far from the consultation webcast, I wasn't able to gather what
>his conclusion of that meeting was.

There's no conclusion yet - the deadline for submissions was extended to
31st December about a month ago.

A letter sent on the 15th November said "The consultations are expected
to result in a set of ideas, opinions and comments on processes for
pursuing enhanced cooperation... These inputs will be synthesised by the
Secretary-General and submitted as a report to the UN GA 66th session
through ECOSOC".  That's end of 2011.

>The upcoming consultation in Geneva may have something more substantial
>I guess.

There isn't a timeline for any more meetings on Enhanced Cooperation,
other than the report above may surface at next May's CSTD (14th
Session), for onward submission to ECOSOC and the GA (just like this
year's IGF renewal process, which involved a fight over pre-releasing a
report from the Secretary General based on the UnderSec's famous
consultations in Sharm). Or it might go straight to ECOSOC (in June
usually).

ps. Might be relevant to point to this document, which I think's still
current:

"Information for civil society entities that were accredited to WSIS and
are interested in participating in the work of CSTD regarding the follow
up to WSIS"

<http://www.unctad.org/Templates/Download.asp?docid=9128&lang=1&intItemI
D=4839>

--