[governance] Shah' stmt at the close of today

Drake William william.drake at graduateinstitute.ch
Wed Dec 15 13:59:04 EST 2010

Hi

I agree, when there's an agenda and purported mandate like this, arguing on other grounds is unlikely to get very far.

BTW I should clarify that my comment below pertained only to the afternoon session, I didn't see the morning session with ISOC ICANN CONGO etc as it's not online.

Bill

On Dec 15, 2010, at 6:13 PM, Roland Perry wrote:

> In message <50C825B1-7A36-41DD-906C-5FFC8A7DF5A7 at graduateinstitute.ch>, at 11:02:27 on Wed, 15 Dec 2010, Drake William <william.drake at graduateinstitute.ch> writes
>> The government representatives were all on topic.  With a few exceptions, the nongovernmental representatives were typically off topic, long self indulgent speeches about their own activities, views on the state of the world, etc.
>
> The chair was looking for proposals on what to do - to get Enhanced CoOperation off the ground.
>
> He wasn't very impressed by people who said "you've missed the point, IGF is working fine" or "everything's OK, nothing new needed".
>
> Despite the popular view that "doing nothing" might indeed be the best option, the chair pointed out that he had a resolution in front of him saying that "something must be done". Which, in politics, often becomes "this is something - we must do it".
>
>> It's hard to see how that helped make the case for the superiority and necessity of a multistakeholder process.
>
> And the rather shaky start to his consultation in Sharm, as well as the "poster incident", probably didn't endear the less formal IGF process to those more used to New York protocols.
>
>> Reminiscent of some similar WSIS episodes, and arguably underscores that Geneva is a better setting for us than NYC.
>
> I did get the impression that many speakers were "our man in New York", whereas in Geneva we seem to see faces more familiar with the long term process. Again, with a few notable exceptions (in both directions, when the CSTD is involved).
> --
> Roland Perry

William J. Drake
Senior Associate