[governance] Re: Draft IGC statement on Wikileaks

Milton L Mueller mueller at syr.edu
Sun Dec 12 21:54:31 EST 2010

Parminder
In the existing political context, where nation-states dominate governance and seem to be intent on not allowing the rest of us to participate in it, then YES, no government is better than an imperfect government. Decentralization of power among states has two virtues: it creates checks and balances among states, and it creates certain power vacuums which can be filled either through new institutions or through self-governance activities on the distributed internet.

As one of the people who originated the call for a Framework Convention during the WSIS, I feel we have to draw back from that at the present time. ACTA, the increasingly reactionary US govt role in CIR governance, cyberwar and "cyber-security," the Tunis Agenda's fallacious attempt to reserve "public policy" for nation-states, and the current anti-MS moves of the UN/CSTD all make it clear that states are not reliable or productive partners in any effort to build democratic global governance. To call for a negotiated convention, treaty or framework _in the context of the UN_ - an entity that still has debates about whether the people should even be allowed to participate in its deliberations, is crazy if one expects the outcome of such a negotiation to preserve or enhance the freedom of the internet and the rights of the people using it. Those negotiations will be all about the interests of states.

Indeed, after reading Jeremy's statement on Wikileaks it became clear to me that IGC needs to have a debate about tactics and strategy along these lines.

--MM