[governance] Re: Draft IGC statement on Wikileaks

McTim dogwallah at gmail.com
Sun Dec 12 01:33:19 EST 2010

Prmndr, Lee, Ian, et. al,

On Sun, Dec 12, 2010 at 8:45 AM, parminder <parminder at itforchange.net> wrote:
> Hi Jeremy
>

> "The recent WikiLeaks affairs have starkly brought out how global Internet
> cannot, and should not, be governed through illegitimate use of political
> and commercial power. There are two clear problems with this approach of
> using backroom governance tactics. One, they is always likely to be abused,
> as in our view, they got hugely abused in the Wikileaks case. Second, in
> possible cases where it may legitimately be required to employ some urgent
> global governance responses to real problems or threats (or perhaps even
> opportunities), which cannot completely be assumed away, backroom levels of
> power based on raw political and commerical might, as employed by some
> governments and their corporate cronies in the present case, are not
> available to less powerful political players or countries. This situation
> bespeaks a democratic deficit and a need for globally democratic principles
> and institutional frameworks in the area of Internet governance, which is
> the urgent challenge that the proposed process of enhanced cooperation
> should address itself to. "

I have a hypothetical question (that may not be so hypothetical, if
the actions by some re: CSTD are anything to go by).

If the governemtns of the world decided they would build a "framework"
of some kind re: IG, but shut out all non-governmental actors in its
development, would you all still be in favor of said framework
building?

--
Cheers,

McTim