[governance] Wikileaks - ISOC

Ian Peter ian.peter at ianpeter.com
Thu Dec 9 03:56:29 EST 2010

>Do we want to say "we support Wikileaks" or do we want to say "we disapprove of
the (lack of) process that has been followed in dealing with Wikileaks, and we
think that a set of principles should be >democratically developed to guide
public and private responses in future similar circumstances"?  Whilst I
personally support Wikileaks, I think that the latter approach is more within
the IGC's area of >core competence, and would also distinguish our statement
better from those of free speech groups et al.

Along the lines of the latter I think ­ we can say recent events such as
those concerning Wikileaks highlight the need for....

While arguing for the development of specific processes, we can also be
critical of the sorts of actions that have been taken in the absence of such
guidelines and the futility and ineffectiveness of  un co-ordinated
approaches taking place in the absence of established legal protocols.

From: Jeremy Malcolm <jeremy at ciroap.org>
Date: Thu, 9 Dec 2010 16:00:05 +0800
To: <governance at lists.cpsr.org>, Ian Peter <ian.peter at ianpeter.com>
Subject: Re: [governance] Wikileaks - ISOC

On 09/12/2010, at 2:53 PM, Ian Peter wrote:

> So far we have seen everydns, mastercard, amazon and paypal cave in to
> political pressure, although there is no legal action against wikileaks, let
> alone a successful one. On the other hand, ISOC (and presumably PIR) and
> Facebook of all bedfellows have stood firmly on the side of a free Internet.

and Twitter.

--
Jeremy Malcolm
Project Coordinator

Read our email confidentiality notice
<http://www.consumersinternational.org/Templates/Internal.asp?NodeID=100521&
int1stParentNodeID=89765> . Don't print this email unless necessary.