[governance] enhanced consultations - further inputs

Milton L Mueller mueller at syr.edu
Tue Dec 7 16:52:50 EST 2010

The overlap starts well before that.

What you are saying, in effect, is that if the government wants to impose public policy concerns on the industry it must alter the technical standards, or operations, or private contractual terms among ISPs, hosting companies, etc. Conversely, if it wants to allow industry players to set standards, perform operations or negotiate contracts on their own, it will have little influence on public policy. That tells me the two are inseparable.

More fundamentally (and this is a point I explore at length in Networks and States), when you talk about "public policy" what "public" are you talking about? On the global internet, there are 200+ national publics, many more subnational publics, and several transnational or regional publics involved. If so, what gives a "national" public in the form of one government the right to legislate in ways that affect 20 or 30 other publics over which they have no legitimate authority?

Communications media create their own publics.

     governance at lists.cpsr.org