[governance] enhanced cooperation consultations

Milton L Mueller mueller at syr.edu
Tue Dec 7 11:03:31 EST 2010

One, a call to frame such principles in form of a framework convention on the Internet, is a part of our input to the EC process, and so, yes, i agree completely. New institutional developments should be framed by and within codified principles.

But we need to make it clear that the principles involve _limitations_ on power, and rights for end users. The term “principles” is a bit too vague by itself.

Secondly,, i have always thought that terms like democracy and even 'participatory' very clearly, and centrally, include all the needed checks and balances against majoritarianism.

I guess this is where we disagree. In Western academic and political discourse, at least, the term “democracy” does not mean the same thing as “liberal democracy”

Why do you suspect otherwise. I do not understand why centuries old concepts and ideas like democracy are suddenly opened up to such unjustified criticism or critiques, as if something quite novel is being discussed or proposed.

Well, democracy means “rule by the people” and thus raises the issue of what “public” or “people” one is talking about. Democracy has for the past 3-4 centuries meant “nations” or more territorially delimited publics. Global democracy is indeed something extremely novel.

You are probably already familiar with this but for some good discussions of what it means, see this web site: http://www.buildingglobaldemocracy.org/content/cgd-case-studies