[governance] enhanced consultations - further inputs

Lee W McKnight lmcknigh at syr.edu
Sun Dec 5 16:58:51 EST 2010

First,

Since I seem to be taking the unpopular positions of late - allow me to defend the ITU's honor : )

1st international organization (you'd think the postal folks would have started to cooperate first at international level, but no, the techie telegraph operators led the way.)

And you all like your GSM or 3G or 4G mobiles right, which work pretty well across borders these days? Ever hear of GPS? You can either thank the US air force or ITU for that, depending as it does on orbital arc allocations...and oh yeah someone to launch the satellites. Anyway, point is in spite of ITU's interminable processes, they work reasonably well for...190 countries; and lots of users. Leaving aside for now how they may be improved in a multistakeholder manner.

Now back to the question at hand, can we do better than that for global democratic processes around Internet governance? Of course.  See there's these Internet protocols which make it trivially easy to go from local to global...ok yeah more than that is needed but scalability is NOT the problem.

Being afraid to even broach the subject is the surest way to make sure it never happens.

So definitely that should be a talking point for David A., however it is wordsmithed between now and 12.14, starting from Parminder's pretty reasonable draft.

Lee