[governance] FW: [IP] Fwd: Wikileaks Domain Revoked?

Karl Auerbach karl at cavebear.com
Sat Dec 4 17:43:58 EST 2010

On 12/04/2010 11:54 AM, Lee W McKnight wrote:

> Since we're talking Vittorio's holiday shopping...Amazon's denial re
> their cessation of service w Wikileaks was not politics but for
> violating terms of service, below.

> Amazon said:

> "[Amazon Web Services] ...terms of service state that "you represent and warrant
> that you own or otherwise control all of the rights to the content…
> that use of the content you supply does not violate this policy and
> will not cause injury to any person or entity". It's clear that
> WikiLeaks doesn't own or otherwise control all the rights to this
> classified content. Further, it is not credible that the
> extraordinary volume of 250,000 classified documents that WikiLeaks
> is publishing could have been carefully redacted in such a way as to
> ensure that they weren't putting innocent people in jeopardy."

Two points, particularly since I use Amazon's S3 service to store materials:

   1. What evidence does Amazon have that "WikiLeaks doesn't own or
otherwise control all the rights to this classified content."?  If I
understand it, the US Gov't is not able to create materials that are
subject to copyright.  (Is that correct?)

   2. If the material is classified under US law then a better reason
would be that Amazon being a US company has obligations in that regard.
(I don't know what obligations are, if any, in light of the NY Times
case and the Pentagon Papers.)

   3. <three points! -- insert Monty Python reference> I don't
understand what part of Amazon's Terms of Service require that users,
such as myself, or Wikileaks, redact documents to minimize possible
jeopardy to others.  And given that Amazon prices its S3 storage service
in units of Terrabytes, one has to wonder whether Amazon is requiring
redaction by clients that have orders upon orders more data on Amazon
machines than had Wikileaks.

   By-the-way, I have always wondered whether when one leaves Amazon's
storage cloud whether all copies of the data stored are removed or
whether it lingers in backups and elsewhere?  (That's one reason why all
my data on Amazon S3 is pre-encrypted before it is sent there.)

   4. I'm with Vittorio in my desire to reduce my Amazon use.  But I'm
here with my Kindle, storing my data on S3, and ... well let's just say
that Amazon is hard to shake off.

	--karl--

     governance at lists.cpsr.org