[governance] enhanced consultations - further inputs

parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Sat Dec 4 00:21:10 EST 2010

On Friday 03 December 2010 07:46 PM, Roland Perry wrote:
> In message <4CF8C38E.8030507 at itforchange.net>, at 15:46:46 on Fri, 3
> Dec 2010, parminder <parminder at itforchange.net> writes
>> Dear Roland,
>>
>> At least I have mentioned it several times why it doesnt meet my
>> approval (and that of most developing country actors) . Let me say it
>> again - I and my country are not represented in CoE/ OECD initiatives.
>> Do you think this is not a good enough reason? Does democracy and
>> global democracy count for anything?
>
> That depends whether or not there's anything fundamentally wrong with
> the initiatives.

Who decides what is wrong or not? The corresponding question - since I
asked if democracy counts for anything - is how does lack of democracy
in a country matter if 'things are working well', whatever it means.

> That's pragmatism rather than paternalism.
like colonialism (or the white man's burden ) was pragmatism, as
apartheid was pragmatism, as China's throttling of dissent is
pragmatism........

> We are where we are,

Yes, sure. If one is structurally well locating, it comes easy to saying
'we are where we are'..... not to those who are marginalized.

I do wonder what are the limits of political correctness on this list.

For a global civil society group, the lack of enthusiasm for global
democracy here worries me a lot.

parminder