[governance] CoE

Izumi AIZU iza at anr.org
Fri Dec 3 10:09:36 EST 2010

Hi,

While original OECD member countries are "high developed industrial
nations" of the
West, it is not entirely true now. They have been expanding its
membership and activities.

Of course, major works are still sort of "controlled" by rich
industrial countries, just
pointing that out may not be much productive.

I had similar image about OECD as "the Club of rich Western countries", they
are trying to shift that. Yes, the procedure to join OECD is not explicitly
mentioned, and most meetings are "closed" and working documents are
kept only among member,  thus it is still rather closed, I agree.

From OECD website:

The 33 member countries of OECD are:
Australia, Austria, Belgium, Canada, Chile, Czech Republic, Denmark,
Finland, France, Germany, Greece,  Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Israël,
Italy, Japan, Korea, Luxembourg,  Mexico, the Netherlands, New
Zealand,  Norway, Poland, Portugal, Slovak Republic, Slovenia, Spain,
Sweden, Switzerland, Turkey, United Kingdom, United States.

Twenty of these countries became members on 14 December 1960, when the
Convention establishing the organisation was signed. The others have
joined over the years.

In a Supplementary Protocol to the OECD Convention, the signatory
states decided that the Commission of the European Community “shall
participate in the work” of the Organisation. This participation goes
well beyond that of a mere observer, and in fact gives the Commission
quasi-Member status.

In May 2007, OECD countries agreed to invite Chile, Estonia, Israel,
Russia and Slovenia to open discussions for membership of the
Organisation and offered enhanced engagement to Brazil, China, India,
Indonesia and South Africa. The approval of so-called "road maps" in
December 2007 marked the start of accession talks with Chile, Estonia,
Israel, Russia and Slovenia.

http://www.oecd.org/document/58/0,3343,en_2649_201185_1889402_1_1_1_1,00.html

Just FYI.

izumi