[governance] enhanced consultations - further inputs

Avri Doria avri at psg.com
Thu Dec 2 12:26:07 EST 2010

Hi,

I find lots of things ironic in the persecution of wikileaks and the upcoming martyrdom of Assange.

I do not find it particularly ironic that a company is pressured to pull down the website in this extreme environment where most all of the countries of the world are screaming for his head and willing to get it in any way they can.

I think it is highly ironic that the first time Interpol cares about a rape, I mean the quest to question someone over a possible case of rape and sexual abuse, enough to make someone Most Wanted.  If only they cared about all possible rapes and cases of sexual abuse with that degree of urgency.  Normally I have a guilty until proven innocent view on accusations of rape (I know, this is a character fault) but in this case the happenstance of the accusations and the wikileaks Iraq papers, and now the ratcheting up when the cables are leaked make me somewhat suspicious.  In fact I see this as terrible gender exploitation by the powers that be.  Can't wait to see the  insanity when they start leaking about the banks, probably accuse him of pedophilia.

To answer your question, i think almost any server in the world would have been pressured to pull down wikileaks pages.  If only there were countries who provided a safe haven for information.  Would Amazon have done if France asked?  Probably - depends on how much of their business the French government can mess with and depends on whether they might be accused of assisting and abetting espionage in French courts.  I even bet that if his server was in India, it would have been pulled down if the India government cared about the leaks and said 'boo'.  And as long as governments insist on their sovereignty, no global central committee for internet governance policy is going to make any difference in this sort of issue.

I wonder does anyone care about the content of the cables and what they have to say about various countries' attitudes and positions?

a.

Ps. Then again Palin says he should be hunted like the Taliban.   So what more is there to say!

     governance at lists.cpsr.org