[governance] Internet Kill switch bill to be trojan-horsed

jefsey jefsey at jefsey.com
Mon Aug 30 03:51:46 EDT 2010

This kind of bill, which actually progressively builds a national
cybersecurity force seems in normal (if not delayed) line with the
regalian duty of protection/defense of its country. It is to expect
that most of the Govs, if not all, will progressively carry their
duty in this area, more or less under the leading powers e-umbrellas
(e-colonization). What is of interest here is the inclusion of the
economic protection aspects. However, the real today world war is
played in the standardization field by "internationalization" of
national technicocomercial cultures.

In that sense the Tunis agreement and the recent response the IAB
gave to my appeal, would mean together a significant and surprising
disengagement of the USA from the control of the Internet of the
future. Therefore, I feel that we will have a result a
military/industrial reposed in coming months/years, may be through a
new ISOC kind of influence and an ARPA project to replace IETF as a
technical influence leader. This Agency could be a good way to start
influencing the technology to become more secure, architecturally and
operationally.

As usual innovation is incremental, disruptive or architectural. One
could say now that IETF's is incremental, US Gov's is disruptive
being a leader in the area, and users' is architectural. CS should
consider the impact on society and cultures (none of them being
small) of these three attitudes.

jfc

     governance at lists.cpsr.org