[governance] Substance for IGF CS Opening and Closing speakers

Paul Lehto lehto.paul at gmail.com
Wed Aug 25 18:56:12 EDT 2010

What I'm concerned about is the incorrect but quite common idea that a
treaty is necessary in order for international law to be binding.
This perception greatly slows down global human rights progress,
disables people from using their own reason and conscience in favor of
checking treaty ratifications, and can undermine the UDHR
inappropriately whenever it's written off as a "mere" Declaration.
Such "mere declarations" in minor matters would indeed be nonbinding,
but not so in the area of core fundamental human rights (incorporated
into customary international law).

On examination, the notion (not articulated here) that only a treaty
can create international law reserves to each nation-state an absolute
or totalitarian power to accept or reject what laws apply to it:  to
define the justice as limited to what it wants and signs off on.

Were that the case, the UN-sponsored war crimes tribunals, for
example, regarding the former Yugoslavia and Rwanda etc would not be
possible in most cases if political leaders were smart enough to
revoke treaties prior to violating human rights.  Hitler made just
that argument: inapplicability outside Germany's express consent via
treaty.  He lost that argument both on the battlefield and in the
courtroom and in the history books.

Paul Lehto

--
Paul R Lehto, J.D.