[governance] Substance for IGF CS Opening and Closing speakers

Paul Lehto lehto.paul at gmail.com
Wed Aug 25 17:27:10 EDT 2010

Referring to the Universal Declaration of Human Rights and the treaty
called the International Covenent on Civil and Political Rights, On
8/25/10, Mawaki Chango <kichango at gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm sure it doesn't hurt to reference both,  the treaty for backing.

ANSWER:  It does hurt if it is worded in such a way as to leave open
the inference that the ratification or acceptance by treaty is what
makes human rights binding on all nations, because that gives each
nation both a power of unilateral veto as well as an implied power of
totalitarian authority over all people under its control.  But yes,
properly worded, the UDHR alone is enough and binding on all nations
under customary international law, and the Covenant as well as other
treaties are like adding suspenders on top of a strong belt.

> 2010/8/25 Paul Lehto <lehto.paul at gmail.com>:
>> Per the below, the UDHR is most certainly binding international law,
>> regardless of the existence of a signed treaty. I only point to
>> signatures on treaties for the purpose of establishing yet another
>> level:  binding agreement and consent in light of my statement at the
>> outset that no one wants to expressly and publicly distance themselves
>> from these rights.

[snip]
--
Paul R Lehto, J.D.