[governance] On opening and closing statements (Bill and Paul's

Eric Dierker cogitoergosum at sbcglobal.net
Wed Aug 25 00:12:18 EDT 2010

Ginger,

When I think back on speeches I witnessed and those I have read, that made an
impact, I usually just remember the substance.  And on some I remember the
speaker but danged if I remember what position they were speaking from. I do
remember Mandela making some speech but I could not say in what capacity.  I
remember "I have a dream" but I do not even know in what capacity the Rev.
spoke. Likewise Ho Chi Minh made some I loved but as a student and I know this
includes the great Ghandijji also but before Independence, so in what role I do
not know.

Let us bring together people with speakers who unite and ignite.  Whether the
speech is a bellweather will depend upon the message and not the messenger.  Let
us hear what our best contributors have to say, let them strike a cord of
interest, let them lead us to further dialogue and deeper thought.  Only the
power of their words - or the absence of, will determine if they speak for the
greater community.

As for me, I trust completely that the words from our co-coordinators will ring
with earnestness, passion and intelligence.  I participated in the vote for them
not so as to exclude them but to franchise them with an empowerment to do their
best and they have honored that trust.

Eric