[governance] CS speaker suggestions for the opening and closing

Chad Lubelsky chad at apc.org
Tue Aug 24 15:23:51 EDT 2010

Hi everyone,

APC would like to nominate the following individuals.

Cheers,

Chad

--

Europe:
Karen Banks
Karen is the manager of APC's strategic technologies and network
development programme. She is a Director of GreenNet, a small non-
profit ISP in London, and founding member of the Association for
Progressive Communications. In 1993, she formed (along with other
women colleagues from the APC) the APC Women's Networking Support
Programme. In 1995, APC WNSP led an all women team of 40 to the UN
Fourth World Conference on Women, where they provided email and web
access to over 10,000 delegates.  With other women's rights groups,
the APC WNSP also successfully lobbied for the inclusion of  'Media
and Communications' as a new chapter in the Beijing Platform for
Action – the first global intergovernmental policy reference the
importance of women's rights to access new technologies.  Karen
coordinated the APC WNSP from 1996 to 2004. Since 2004, Karen has
managed various national, regional and global ICT policy advocacy and
capacity building projects and processes for APC. This included
coordination of  APC's participation in the WSIS (World Summit in the
Information Society),  the Internet Governance Forum (IGF) and OECD
meetings. She is currently a trustee of Privacy International (an
international privacy rights and civil liberties watchdog based in the
UK),  was a member of the WSIS Working Group on Internet Governance
(WGIG) and was awarded the Anita Borg Social Impact Award with the
APCWNSP in 2004.
Africa:
Fatimata Seye Sylla
Fatimata Seye Sylla holds a Master of Science from the Media Lab at
Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), a DUT in Computer Science
from IUT du Havre in France, a Certificate of Business Administration
from CESAG, Dakar, the regional management school for Africa.
After several years of experience in the field of ICT for development
in Africa, she is now the National Coordinator of the USAID/EDB
project, in charge of the integration of ICTs in teaching/learning
practices in Middle Schools for quality education in Senegal.
Madam Sylla is the author of several publications and studies in the
fields of ICT, Education, gender and development, ICT and democracy
and Internet Governance. She is a founder member of several
associations (ISOC Senegal, OSIRIS, FOSSFA, ACSIS, REGENTIC, Bokk
Jang). She was nominated member of the ICANN At-Large Advisory
Committee (ICANN ALAC) on November 2007 and also elected President of
the African Regional At-Large Organisation (AFRALO) in 2009.
Fatimata participated actively in the World Summit on Information
Society (WSIS) since the first PrepCom of its first phase. She also
participated in all the IGF editions at the national, regional and
international levels.
Ben Akoh
Ben Akoh works as a Project Manager with IISD’s Global Connectivity
program. His duties include research, policy analysis, recommendations
and capacity building on the development and deployment of Information
and Communications Technologies (ICTs) and the Internet pertaining to
their role in supporting sustainable development nationally and
internationally. His recent positions have included Program Manager,
ICT/Media, Open Society Initiative for West Africa (Soros Foundation)
in Dakar, Senegal.
Asia:
Parminder Jeet Singh
Parminder Jeet Singh is the Executive Director of IT for Change – a
Bangalore based NGO (www.ITforChange.net), which works on information
society issues from the stand point of equity and social justice. IT
for Change is involved in research, advocacy and field projects, and
works from global to national to local levels.
Parminder Jeet Singh has worked for close to a decade with the
government of India. This has helped him develop a good understand of
Indian governance and political systems. He also designed and led some
important e-governance projects during this stint. He was invited to
INSEAD business school in France to work on a research project looking
at the promise of the Internet for community driven governance reform.
He co-authored a book 'Government at Net: New Governance Opportunities
for India' (Sage Publications 2002) .
He later worked in a consultancy capacity with NGOs on ICT for
development and e-governance before becoming associated with IT for
Change in 2003. At IT for Change, he leads its field activity done
through the Centre for Community Informatics and Development. He is
also the coordinator of the research and advocacy project 'Information
Society for the South'. He has authored numerous papers on ICTs for
development, e-governance and the political economy of information
society.
Parminder has been the Coordinator of Civil Society Internet
Governance Forum. At present is a Special Advisor to the Chair of the
Multi-stakeholder Advisory Group of the Internet Governance Forum, and
a member of the Strategy Council of the Global Alliance on ICTs and
Development. He is also in advisory groups of a couple of global civil
society initiatives in the area of information society.
LAC:
Katitza Rodríguez
Peruvian based in San Francisco, Katitza is the Electronic Frontier
Foundation's International Rights Director. In this capacity she
concentrates on comparative policy and legal analysis of international
privacy issues, with special emphasis on law enforcement, government
surveillance, and cross border data flows. Her work in EFF's
International Program also focuses on cybersecurity at the
intersection of privacy, freedom of expression, and copyright
enforcement. Before joining EFF, Katitza was Director of the
international privacy program at the Electronic Privacy Information
Center in Washington D.C., where amongst other things, she served as
the Research Director of The Privacy and Human Rights Report, an
international survey of privacy law and developments in 78 countries,
and she served as the civil society liaison while at EPIC from 2009 to
March 2010.
Valeria Betancourt
Activist in the field of ICTs for development and social justice. Her
work with the Association for Progressive Communications (APC) has
focused on ICT policies and internet rights in the context of
development countries in Latin America. She has concentrated in
facilitating engagement of civil society organizations in ICT policy
processes. Her efforts are centered around regionalizing the IGF
process by promoting a regional platform for policy dialogue among
different stakeholders. Currently, Valeria is a member of the IGF
Multistakeholder Advisory Group and has a seat as civil society
observer in the eLAC coordination board. Valeria has a background in
Sociology and Political Science and holds a Masters Degree in Cultural
Studies and Communication.

On 23-Aug-10, at 6:46 PM, Ginger Paque wrote:

> As of now, I have the following list in order of nomination--please
> correct if there are any errors, and start thinking about narrowing
> the list to 4 suggestions that we will send to the Secretariat. I
> apologize for the previous error in omitting Fouad, who was our
> first nomination.
>
> If there are any other nominations, please do post as soon as
> possible. Thanks!
>
> Fouad Bajwa (confirmed)
> Fatimata Seye Sylla (confirmed)
> Valeria Betancourt (confirmed)
> Wolfgang Kleinwachter (confirmed)
> Parminder (not yet confirmed)
>
> Best, Ginger

----

Chad Lubelsky - Global networking, policy and advocacy coordinator
Association for Progressive Communications
Montreal, Canada
chad at apc.org - +1 514 603 3382

---

APC 1990-2010 www.apc.org
Thank you for helping make APC what it is today!
¡Gracias por hacer de APC lo que es hoy!
Merci d'avoir contribué à faire d'APC ce qu'elle est aujourd'hui!