[governance] net neutrality

SAMUELS,Carlton A carlton.samuels at uwimona.edu.jm
Tue Aug 24 13:06:05 EDT 2010

Dear Parminder:
If you recall my perspective, I have been consistent in maintaining that the popular view of 'net neutrality' is a mirage, never existed; preferential customer-driven traffic management and routing decisions are and have always been part of the standard operations of telecommunications carriers, even before the Internet busted out.

Somebody has to pay the bills.  And in competitive markets, customer preference is often productized to further fuel and drive customer behaviours.  In other words, commercial considerations takes pole position when there is money to be made.

Unless the Indian regulator - the State - is willing to outlaw such products or use regulation to make them unattractive, then there will be more copycats in the market.  Why, maybe you are on the first wave of even more ingenious packaging. The future has come to India.

Carlton