[governance] Outcome, Messages etc.

parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Mon Aug 23 11:21:42 EDT 2010

Dear Bertrand

As always I read your erudite and intelligent arguments with much interest.

It is not that I have no hopes from the IGF. I have hopes, and this is
why I continue to closely associate with it.

And it is not that the IGF system (pulling in together also the
regional/ national IGFs) is not, or will not be, contributing anything.
However, what I fear is that it is setting up a new global governance
paradigm which at its heart is very *conservative*. It will certainly be
able to produce some results like in area of network security that
affect all of us, almost equally.  It may be able to produce rules that
provide the basic structure for society's stability, which is the
conservative political agenda.

However, I see the same emerging global governance model subverting any
or all possibilities of 'progressive change' - towards greater equality
and social justice in this world. Denial of any such possibility is
written in the DNA of the emergent governance model (unlike the DNA of a
democratic model which is, at its root, egalitarianism oriented).

What we want is a global governance model which is more social justice
oriented. And I do not see the IGF system evolving towards any such
possibility, at least at present. ( I will like to hear arguments to the
contrary.) Unless, of course, as I have argued earlier, the
multi-stakeholder model of IGF is subordinate to, and feeds into, a more
clearly (deep) democratic governance model at the global level.

Unless I hear a IGF/ multistakeholderism proponent also discuss parallel
developments towards global democracy, I remain skeptical of the pitch.

Picking up two examples from your text.

     >Examples include changing "Ending the unilateral control of the
    critical internet resources by the US government" into >"Ensuring
    the integrity of the root zone file". The former is a contentious
    subject, the later is a common objective that >allows to discuss
    whether the current modalities are sufficient, acceptable, can be
    improved, etc....

I am unable to agree to this. One can discuss or perhaps even ensure the
integrity (whatever it means) of the root without its democratic
governance which is the point of the other formulation '"Ending the
unilateral control of the critical internet resources by the US
government". As one can have economic progress under a despotic rule,
but that is *not* ok.

In the same way

     >"net neutrality" is a good case in point : there is a high level
    of confusion on what it entails and different actors keep >talking
    to one another with completely different understandings of the term
    itself. I have suggested elsewhere >(following interesting
    discussions at the last EuroDIG), to reframe it as "Limitations to
    Network Management" (other >formulations can be envisaged

I will rather frame NN issue as a media rights, and economic, social and
cultural rights, issue (in the same way as I cringe from presenting FoE
as a trade restriction issue, a la Google and US gov). And I am quite
sure, both, that

(1) it is quite difficult to make much progress at the IGF, as it is at
present, in trying to project NN as a social and economic rights issues,
and at the same time,

(2) whether NN is posited as a network management issue or a rights
issues, things will move in quite different directions.

I have used the above examples to illustrate how the needs of global
social justice are difficult to be met in a highly  *conservative*
governance model which seem to be emerging around, and through, the IGF.
We thus need to build new, more democratic structures, at the global
level, and the the IGF should be an important part of it.

Thanks and best regards

Parminder