[governance] multistakeholderism

Jovan Kurbalija jovank at diplomacy.edu
Fri Aug 20 10:19:49 EDT 2010

While most of the government/UN 'world' is on holidays, we are having
one of the most interesting discussions ever on this list. Is this
another proof that IG is unique? ;) Here are a few reflections on the
David/Michael/Wolfgang thread on IGF, multistakeholderism, etc.

I would be very careful in using the argument that IG and the IGF are
unique because of the uniqueness of the Internet. The Internet is no
longer as 'unique' (or perceived to be) as it was when Barlow was
drafting his declaration from Davos or when we were discussing IG at the
WGIG. In the meantime, the Internet has become 'grounded' in traditional
geography. The formula could be: the more the Internet is anchored in
geography, the less unique is its governance. Today, with geo-location
tools (combining convenience and control) we are more geographically
anchored than in the 'fleshware', pre-Internet era. Once we are
geo-located, governance and policy move to 'normality', applying
principles that are as old as the Code of Hammurabi.

In addition, one has also to be careful with the 'networked' argument
and the end of traditional hierarchy. The world maybe 'flat', but the
organisation of human society is still hierarchical. H. Simon, Nobel
Prize winner, put some serious thinking into this matter. Ultimately, he
argued that hierarchy is inherent to human organisation. What makes a
difference is how this hierarchy functions. Are social elevators free to
use? Is this hierarchy organised on might or merit? Is it controlled?

Lastly, on the communication aspect.... Most of us have contracted the
chrono-narcissism virus, arguing that our own time is unique. Given the
excitement of the last 20 years (end of the cold war, beginning of the
Internet) it is not surprising. Moreover, it is human to think that we
live our short time on the globe in a unique era. The problem starts
when this argument is overused and inflated. Like any inflation it
reduces the value of the inflated object. People get tired of it. Even
Newsweek no longer announces every other issue with 'revolutionary',
'brave new world', etc. The pendulum has moved - too far - into other
direction of skepticism and caution. Everybody wants to find a 'Black
Swan'. We have to be aware of this significant shift when we communicate
IG/IGF stories.

Paradoxically, in spite of all this, the IGF really is still unique.
What is the uniqueness of the IGF? First, it has been a great success.
Today, when many global policy initiatives are stuck (climate change,
NPT, middle east) the IGF should be/is a shining example. It is
successful because it did not let policy differences degenerate into
crisis and conflict. Today, with minor exceptions, we can access all
Internet content. There are almost 2 billion users, with more and more
people from developing countries. Controversial issues such as ICANN
have been handled with wisdom, and given us time to sort out problems.
The IGF played major role in the overall IG success.

The IGF has also started creating awareness that inclusiveness and the
multistakeholder approach are not just ethical questions. They are
equally, if not more, of a practical matter. The less people are
engaged, the less they feel ownership of the global policy, the less
they want to follow it. The limitations of current global policy are
noticeable everywhere. One of the consequences of the failure of
development policy is people getting on the boat sailing towards
wealthier countries. An unbalanced IPR regime makes people feel that
when they copy protected software or video they are not doing anything
unethical. The list can continue.... In many cases the reason is that
traditional policy-making has too narrow “a bandwidth” (parliament -
government - diplomatic service – multilateral negotiations). It has
legal, but not popular legitimacy. New forms that will increase the
legitimacy of policy-making on national, regional and global levels are
needed for the practical reasons of implementing what is agreed.
Micheal's comment on broadening participation beyond the IGF "usual
suspects" is extremely important.

The IGF's success is shown in many low-cost but powerful procedural
improvements. The trio fantasticus (Marilia, Ginger and Bernard), with
the support of the IGF Secretariat, has made remote participation a
great success. This year there will be 28 hubs worldwide, with people
discussing their local IG issues in schools, Internet cafes, town halls.
Again, without pomp, against skepticism, with hard work they have built
something which is of interest to many, beyond the IG circle. For
example, in September, at the annual meeting of directors of all
diplomatic academies in the world, Marilia will present the IGF's remote
participation experience (http://ifdt10.diplomacy.edu/programme).

The list can continue..... the IGF is in many respects relevant and
unique, but it is not 'more' unique because of the Internet's
'uniqueness'. What was important in 2005 is not necessarily so any more.
The world has changed a lot over the last 5 years and with it the raison
d'être of the IGF.

Best, Jovan