[governance] multistakeholderism

jefsey jefsey at jefsey.com
Thu Aug 19 03:56:54 EDT 2010

At 05:05 19/08/2010, Jeremy Malcolm wrote:
>I haven't been participating in this discussion, because I don't
>want to stick too much of an oar in while I'm co-coordinator, but
>I've been avidly reading and there have been many pearls of wisdom
>exchanged.  I'll just pipe up briefly here to add one short +1 to
>this, and to make a couple of related remarks.

Interesting debate.  However, I do not want to harp on that too much,
but democracy seems to be an outdated concept that is related to a
period of prevalent dialogue calling for an elected chain of dialogue
from bottom to top. With the demographic growth, and its implied
direct horizontal relational consequences, we entered a polylogue
period (people talking to everyone on behalf of everyone), and to
facilitate this polylogue we created the Internet. This is new, and
we are learning from experience as to what polycracy may mean and how
one "governs", together with each other, a 7++ billion multicolor,
multicultural, multilingual, multifaith, etc. States UN, in turn
resulting from and dependent on a developing set of new technologies.

The WSIS offered a panel of different, and probably prophetic, insights:

- individual people centrism

- dynamic coalitions: everyone can join/quit them to promote/defend a position

- enhanced cooperations (to be worked on) to carry common tasks -
where the current IESOCANN failure is, due to the still prevailing
ICANN "Class IN" centrism make-believe. However, the enhanced
cooperation mechanism is something that we will probably have to
consider soon enough due to the principle of subsidiarity becoming
the third founding principle (through the IDNA2008 illustration) of
the Internet architecture (after the principle of adaptability as a
result of the principle of permanent change - RFC 1958; and the
principle of simplicity - RFC 3439).

- multistakeholderism. However, in mainly quoting the governance
regalian space, civil society, private sector, and international
bodies, they overlooked three key missing stakeholder classes: money,
users, and adminance.

--- Adminance is what provides its technical soil to Governance
(standards, operations, structures, training, maintenance, etc.).
--- Users are the people who are the center of the whole thing (far
away from CS, which deals with principles, while Users deal with reality).
--- Money is still currently a decimal non-digital transaction memory
tool that is devastated by the emergence of the digital ecosystem and
is totally out of tune with it, and with the emerging polycracy
(hence the current financial crisis and corruption wave [Russia: 50%
of the GNP]).

- the IGF decision making tool. Certainly the least understood
proposition to date. While the main concept is still "coordinated
cooperation" (by US, ICANN, UN...), the IGF is NOT a place for
coordination (with voted motions influenced by lobbies and sponsors),
but rather a place for "concertation" (French/EU meaning), i.e. where
everyone can come to a better, mutually informed, personal decision.

In such a system, stability can only proceed from what Buckminster
Fuller called "tensegrity" (integrity based on a balance between
tension and compression components).,This is probably a notion that
we should explore better as a multilateral continuation of the
East/West Cold War coexistence and further US globalization attempt.

jfc