[governance] Ism or not Ism ?

Izumi AIZU aizu at anr.org
Wed Aug 18 09:46:13 EDT 2010

As a latecomer to this very interesting debate, I like to share my views.
First, I am not a big fan of "ism", but, as Bertrand tried, I am very much
in favor of the multistakeholder process or approach, far better than
UN model of governments making all decisions out of their inter-governmental
negotiations, most of which at WSIS were very un-constructive so to speak,
when, at least, it came to "internet governance" issues.

The beauty of  multistakeholder process or approach has been, in my view,
all stakeholders work together to reach agreement, on one way or other.
In that sense, it is not a silo model, but collaboration as the key.

Excluding any major voice/stakeholder will result in a very negative,
outcome and hence not accepted by all.

I do agree that it is not perfect (yet) and problematic, such as
democracy as it is the worst form of governance except for all those
others that have been tried."

It is not a proven model yet, but work in progress, and that is why it
is, in a way
attractive for us.

izumi

2010/8/18 Hakikur Rahman <email at hakik.org>:
> At 08:26 AM 8/18/2010, parminder wrote:
>
>> In fact, some of those who are considered antagonist to MSism - like
>> developing country governments, are the ones who have, and still are,
>> advocating, some more clear and meaningful outcomes from the MS forum of the
>> IGF.
>>
>> Shedding of any light on this paradox will be highly appreciated.
>>
>> That could help us in deciding whether MSism is a model for making (or
>> helping make) policy, or of obstructing progressive policy making
>> possibilities.
>>
>> Parminder
>
> Agreed on this issue and perhaps, participants from either the government or
> CS (preferably from the government side) deserve to be provided with
> elucidated concept of the MS and they could be the leader in their countries
> to advocate further at the lower tier of the government.
>
> Thanking you,
> Hakik

                        >> Izumi Aizu <<

                                  Japan