[governance] multistakeholderism

Lisa Horner LisaH at global-partners.co.uk
Tue Aug 17 12:05:29 EDT 2010

Hi all

Just a quick note in relation to Wolfgang's final point below about the Internet Rights and Principles coalition...

We're currently finalizing the first draft of a "Charter of Human Rights and Principles for the Internet".  The aim is to translate human rights standards to apply to the Internet, so the focus of the main section of the Charter is on the rights of individuals in relation to the Internet (whether online, connected or not currently using it).

In the second section of the Charter we've started to break down overarching rights down into specific principles, and also to define who has responsibility for upholding them.  This is relevant to Wolfgang's suggestion about creating guidelines for different stakeholders/actors/entities.

We haven't however started doing this for participation in internet governance, although that is included as a right in the first section of the Charter in the current version.  It would be great if people are interested in working on that as we move forwards. Might the APC/UNECE/CoE guidelines on participation serve as a starting point for this work?

Just a small aside related to the language we're using: We've had quite a lot of discussion on the IRP list about how we refer to different stakeholders and who actually has "rights".  In the coalition we're working firmly within the human rights framework which means that we're talking about the human rights of individuals. We're therefore not trying to explore or define legal rights for any other entities (e.g. states, companies), but rather focusing on their roles and responsibilities in upholding and advancing human rights.

We'll be consulting on the Charter during the dynamic coalition meeting at the IGF - it would be great to have people's participation in that.

All the best,
Lisa
Lisa Horner
Head of Research & Policy  Global Partners and Associates
338 City Road, London, EC1V 2PY, UK
Office: + 44 207 239 8251     Mobile: +44 7867 795859
LisaH at global-partners.co.uk  www.global-partners.co.uk