[governance] Net neutrality: Definitions

parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Tue Aug 17 05:22:24 EDT 2010

Karl,

 > But finally, this whole thread started when someone said that the
phrase "public internet" was the whole internet.

This goes back to definitions, that we started to attempt.

One can call any traffic carried over IP as Internet, and to me you seem
to think so. (Please correct me if I am wrong).

Verizon- Google uses the term non-Internet for IP traffic which is
carried through entirely private agreements, and public Internet for IP
traffic which is subject to certain levels/ kinds of universal access,
transmission etc - which we may call as bound by a 'public contract', or
by some degree of publicness.

I agree with this separation of meanings between non-Internet and the
Internet as a public space/ entity. However, as argued earlier, degrees
or manners of publicness characterizing a public space/ entity is
different in different contexts - like public parks, public roads,
public schools, public utility, public universities etc. Not all - for
instance, in many cases public utilities - are owned or operated by a
public agency. Such different uses of the term 'public' does not take
away its meaning.

There can be private enclaves within a public space, or the latter can
be connecting private spaces. For instance, a private conversation in a
public park and a road connecting houses respectively. In the case of
the Internet, similarly, the publicness of the Internet does not
overrule the privateness of an email carried by it, and also Internet of
course does connect private networks, including those using IP.

In this context, like those who wrote the Verizon-Google agreement, I am
completely able to understand the meaning of Internet as a 'public
Internet'.

However, the agreement makes distinction between the levels of (or
nature of) publicness of the wired Internet and wireless and I do not
agree with this distinction.

You yourself speak of, what i see as, a public Internet in your email.

 >I suggest that absent some sort of expropriation that the best you
could possibly achieve is some sort of >non-discriminatory
common-carriage regime to defined classes of service but that different
classes of service would >come at different prices.

Such a common carriage network has traditionally been called as a public
network as in '/public switched telephone network', even when operated
by private operators. /

The real problem is with a narrow way of looking at the meaning of
public, which simply does not hold in the present discussion, and is
IMHO only succeeding in making the discussion on public interest
regulation of the Internet even more confusing .

Quoting from one of your earlier emails

 >However, one can take an alternative view and look at the term "public
internet" to describe only that portion of the net >that is owned or
operated by a public entity.

Parminder