[governance] Net neutrality: Definitions

Karl Auerbach karl at cavebear.com
Mon Aug 16 19:36:14 EDT 2010

On 08/16/2010 03:12 PM, Paul Lehto wrote:
>  In this context, "public internet" is attacked and accused of
> meaninglessness.

Let's not go into your description of statutory interpretation.  The art
of such interpretation is very dependent upon the jurisdictional and
factual contexts.

But I don't think we need to go there - I have not been saying that the
phrase "public internet" is either vague or meaningless.

Quite the contrary.  I am saying that the phrase is not at all vague or
meaningless.  I am saying that some of us here seem to want to make the
word "public" in that phrase into an empty word so that the phrase
"public internet" and the unadorned word "internet" mean the same thing.

People are, of course, free to read statements of policy on neutrality
on the "public internet" as if those statements apply to the entire
internet, public or private.

But they ought not to be surprised if someone else, particularly the
authors of those statements, choose to use those words so that the
qualifiers "public" and "private" actually mean something.

And it would not be surprising if those policies are read by others such
that the qualifier "public" is recognized as having weight.

Given that, at least in the USA, well over 90% of the net, and perhaps
closer to 99%, is owned by private entities, a policy that defines net
neutrality on a non-privately owned/operated "public internet" would be
a policy of very limited scope.

		--karl--
     governance at lists.cpsr.org