[governance] Net neutrality: Definitions

Milton L Mueller mueller at syr.edu
Mon Aug 16 13:56:45 EDT 2010

Lee,

The term "net neutrality" has not been dumped by the courts. The courts told the FCC that they didn't have the regulatory authority to require it, because of one of their own decisions classifying internet as an information service rather than telecom service.
That doesn't mean the term is meaningless or undesirable. On the contrary, it tells the FCC that it must either seek new legislation or reclassify broadband if it wants to regulate NN.

Google hasn't dumped the _term_ either. It has tried to come up with a practical construction of it that allows network operators to exercise some control over bandwidth mgmt while not discriminating.

I agree that it is not easy to translate the wonderful principle of NN into a specific regulatory regime without doing more harm than good. Indeed, IGP said so in its 2007 paper.

Open internet doesn't advance the dialogue in any way I can see. It doesn't mean anything, as far as I can tell. But I am happy to receive a coherent definition. It will be interesting to see whether this definition, if subjected to the same "stress tests" as NN, provides a basis for reslving the regulatory disputes.

--MM

     governance at lists.cpsr.org