AW: [governance] multistakeholderism

"Kleinwächter, Wolfgang" wolfgang.kleinwaechter at medienkomm.uni-halle.de
Mon Aug 16 02:58:12 EDT 2010

Parminder

I really do not see big differences between "deepening dmocrcy" and "multistakeholderism". It is a little bit playing with words based on one sided interpretations of the concepts behind the words.

The key issue of MS is "dialogue" among various groups on a more equal footing. MS is NOT a political decision making process. As Michael has outlined on this list, it is a "prelude" for policy decisions. In my eyes it is a rather strong prelude which more less guides the decision makers into a certain direction (risking opposition from the other stakeholders if their decision differs fundamentally from the outcome of the MS discussion).

All stakeholders have different interest (and follow different mechanisms). The MS process tries to identify where common interests are and how individual interests can be realized without harming legitimate interests of others. There is no "one size fits all" model. Each Internet Governance subject can produce another MS model and there can be various "coalitions". The import thing is that in the prelude phase of a policy decision (that is in the PDP process) all voices are heard.

Wolfgang