[governance] network neutrality and the public internet

parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Sun Aug 15 01:33:49 EDT 2010

A very interesting discussion! And one very much pointing to the heart
of the issue. Let me chip in too.

Karl says he doesnt understand the meaning of 'public'. But his
discourse is full of, in fact almost entirely based on, the term 'user'.
As argued many times before,  I do not understand the social meaning and
implications of this term 'user', and find its use in socio-political
discourse around the Internet very problematic.

Before going on with this, let me state a meta point. Language and
discourse has its political economy What terms we use and/ or understand
and which not often depends on where we stand, what we want and what we
are trying to do. Karl, and many like him, do not 'understand' 'public'
because (let me guess !) a strong fear of government controls on the
Internet is a very important, close to the central, part of their world
view about the phenomenon of Internet.

I do not like/understand the term 'user' because

1. this term defines human beings in relation to technology rather than
the other way around

2. More importantly, the use of the term seeks to, in some strange way,
make all those whom technology impacts as equal or, at any rate, to be
at the same starting point. But all progressive socio-political
discourse starts with the premise that people are structurally located
differently, and thus are to be treated as different for all or most
social analysis.

Karl's 'user' looks to be a very empowered individual (of course
ungendered, for one), shaped from ethics (and possibilities) of
individual responsibilities and individual freedoms, to which the
'collective' could, more likely than not, mostly only cause loses of
these freedoms. We all recognize this ideology, and I am not being
dismissive about it. I too speak from a ideology.

I am sorry, but like all social progressives, I am unable to accept this
world view. I know and work among people to whom it is (further)
demeaning and humiliating to be told that it is basically all upto them
to exercise their choices and freedoms, and so bad it they cannot. We
are convinced that these people are subject to structural disadvantage,
and our daily social, economic and political processes (including
perhaps discussions on this list) feed and constantly renew these
structures that cause disadvantage. The only way is to intervene with
means to correct these structural disadvantages - and one of the
principal means for that is the political process, and, further, the
concept of 'public'.

I would, tentatively, define public as something to which people
(citizens) have some kind of a universalistic right of appropriation. No
social term can be defined exactly and in all encompassing manner (that
is more in the technical realm). Like any other right, such rights of
appropriation of the public are never absolute.

To cut it short, and come to the discussion on the 'publicness of the
Internet', we know that there are public parks where the right of
appropriation is more or less unhindered and there are public utilities
(telecommunications have always been a public utility) where this right
is considerably qualified (you may have to pay something for use etc).

My main contention is, when we have rather fruitfully employed the term
'public' in the pre-Internet world, and the term is basic to a
democratic system, why should it suddenly become meaningless in the
Internet space? I think it is  techno-utopianism to look at Internet
space as something basically different in terms of its socio-political
categories, and is ideologically based.

The only way, IMHO, to make progress on the net neutrality issue is to
explore and fix publicness characteristics of the Internet, and from
there to explore a model of Internet regulation that best balances the
needs of innovation, economic growth, equity, social justice etc.
Equally important for a global group like ours, is to differentiate
interests of developing countries, and groups otherwise marginalized,
and not club everyone together as 'users', in order to specifically see
what kind of net neutrality or 'public internet' regulations serves all
these deferential interests.

Parminder

     governance at lists.cpsr.org