[governance] Net neutrality

Mawaki Chango kichango at gmail.com
Sat Aug 14 20:10:19 EDT 2010

As I suspect "public internet" for most proponents on this list refers
to something more than just a bunch of IP-based networks
owned/operated by some public entities, I guess the challenge now is
to try and define what (more/else) 'public internet' might mean, if
anything -- as Paque suggested, among other terms.

My own guess is, if there's such a thing as public internet, it'll
have to be built on the idea that TCP/IP is a public good (or in the
public domain). But I'm afraid we'll need more than that, which will
depend on political will and negotiations among stakeholders. This
will probably involve the deployment and acceptance of some norms
(maybe even a "political fiction") and concepts that will set forth,
and maybe guarantee, the terms of a "minimum" or "basic" Internet
access to all users in the name of public good (which is my
provisional understanding of 'public internet').

Now if that understanding points in the right direction (the terms of
the "minimum" being what's at stake, and still to be specified) then
the reality is, between a basic access to TCP/IP operated networks and
undiscriminated access to virtually all IP-generated networks and
capabilities available at one point in time around the world, there
probably is quite a room for engineering whatever which may
differentiate traffic... Unless (and we're back to what exactly
'public internet' means, if not that.)

OECD released the following report a couple years ago on "Internet
Traffic Prioritisation" you may want to re-visit for the purpose of
this renewed discussion:
http://www.oecd.org/dataoecd/43/63/38405781.pdf

Mawaki

     governance at lists.cpsr.org