[governance] Net neutrality on mobiles

parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Fri Aug 13 12:27:14 EDT 2010

Building on Micheal's post below, Anriette please note that i spoke
about multistakeholderism as a policy making form (or forum) and not a
discussion forum

to quote from my email

"The principal>  lesson for this deal is for all of us to reconsider the foggy business  >  of multistakeholderism as a new policy-making form,"

  There are many on this list who uphold multistakeholderism as a
policy-making forum. That is what I am rebutting.

Also, when we only speak of policy discussion forums like with the IGF
without talking of the policy making forum into which this discussion
must feed, which has to be a public interest based democratic forum,
expressly excluding private interests with conflict of interest wrt
policy matters being considered, we  are promoting both a policy deficit
and a democratic deficit.

The problem is when policy discussions take the place of policy making,
or still worse, as Micheal says, '

the process leading up to the policy to in some sense become the policy making itself."

  This unfortunately is largely the situation of much of global IG today.

Parminder

     governance at lists.cpsr.org