[governance] Re: Net neutrality on mobiles

David Allen David_Allen_AB63 at post.harvard.edu
Tue Aug 10 11:00:48 EDT 2010

On Aug 10, 2010, at 12:29 AM, McTim wrote:

> All of it misses the point that the telcos have never really been NN
> practitioners, it's just not part of who they are.

Au contraire, the 'common carriage' regimes - those of us old enough
(for which, read 'ancient') will remember - were strict and pointed.
A telco - a 'carrier' - simply did not mess with the message being
transmitted.  This was vital to the democratic role of these 'common
carrier networks.'  Such common carrier rules intended, among others,
to prevent intervention by powerful forces, such as governments or
aggregated corporate power, to block or distort free flow of
information in a polity.  Does any of this ring true re global policy
struggles alive to this day ... ?

These traditions however hark back long decades.  The Computer I, II
and III inquiries in the US (beginning from 1966 with the third
inquiry finally launched in 1985) were all about computers not being
allowed to mess with messages as they flowed across the net.  Of
course in the end, packet switching made that an 'interesting'
discussion ...

Common carrier rules were entirely rigid in societies like the US
where, at least once upon a time, the importance of free flow of
information was hallowed.

Of course today, price has been added as a variable, along with
arguments for 'free markets.'  The tradition and framework from which
NN grows, however, is long and strong.

David
     governance at lists.cpsr.org