[governance] Net neutrality on mobiles

parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Sat Aug 7 23:21:02 EDT 2010

Hi All

The biggest mobile operator in India, Airtel, is providing Facebook free
of data download charges in India (apparently, only for 2 months). I
understand this is happening in other countries too; i read about
something similar in Russia.

I consider this as an outright violation of net neutrality (NN).

Since there are existing codes of conduct on NN in some countries like
Norway and Brazil, I will like to know from those who know and
understand these country specific arrangements well if such a thing as
above will be considered a NN violation under these codes.

If indeed developing countries are to have any chance of being a part of
shaping and governing the future of the Internet, we should start
testing such cases as above with the telecom regulatory  authourities,
and if needed with courts and anti-trust bodies.

Parminder

PS: See latest developments on NN debate in the US at

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/news/2010/08/google-verizon-close-to-their-own-net-neutrality-deal.ars

It appears that there is some move to treat wireless or mobile based
Internet on a different level vis a vis NN than wired Internet.

As the largest market players - here, Verizon and Google - seek to
arrive at a mutually convenient  arrangement, and the only other party
to it is the US gov, itself representing very partisan, and largely
dominant, interests, as far as the global public Internet is concerned,
the real shape of global IG is quite evident. Where does the IGF, and
indeed the IGC come into this may be a question that we need to ponder
upon.

     governance at lists.cpsr.org