[governance] OC meetings in Geneva May 10 and 11 IGC statement?

Parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Thu Apr 22 23:32:57 EDT 2010

Ginger Paque wrote:
> Hi Parminder and all,
> Could we have ideas and positions on this possibility? From MAG
> members and non-MAG members, please?

It is my opinion that if the IGF is at all to even attempt to address
half of its mandated tasks, which it has never addressed itself to -
like giving advise, recommendations, interacting with other institutions
etc - the only way to do so is to strengthen the MAG, and structure it
appropriately for  these  tasks. There is no other way  - an open house
like the IGF  cannot  do  these tasks on its own.  That is as  clear as
the daylight.  MAG,  or  whatever name this core multistakeholder group
of the IGF  takes, needs to have a central role in  addressing these
parts of the mandate.

This is why I have always considered any attempt at further diluting the
role and structure of the MAG as a strong move in a direction exactly
opposite to where we need to go, in fulfilling the mandate of the IGF.

The recent statement of G 77 and China at the UN Under Secretary
General's briefing on IGF review  strongly makes  this point on
strengthening the capacity of the IGF to perform its above mentioned
mandated tasks.

It is easy to badmouth developing country governments with regard to
their stance on many IG related issues, especially on their perceived
lack of enthusiasm for giving non-governmental groups a stronger role in
IG issues, but the silences of civil society groups on such very
legitimate issues - whereby the IGF is not enabled to fulfil its mandate
of assisting in shaping global Internet policies - is heard loud and
clear. Do such silences not justify developing country's suspicion of
multistakeholder processes in IG? This of course is a deliberately
provocative poser.

Are we ready to really get down to the task of examining the strongly
detrimental implications of the current vacuums in the global internet
policy regimes, especially for the marginalised people, groups and
countries? What can IGF do in this regard, and what was it expected to
do? What should be the role and structure of MAG to enable what the IGF
should ideally be able to do, and was mandated for it to do by the WSIS?

Parminder

PS: Another interesting issue to ponder upon; If developing countries
want  the IGF -  the only  really multistakeholder body in  IG arena -
to have a clearer role in global Internet policy arena - even if only of
advising, interacting with other organisation etc , while many others
(you know who) are not too enthusiastic about such a role for the IGF,
who is more pro-multistakeholderism and who anti?