[governance] Breakdown of IGF 2009 participants by region and

Eric Dierker cogitoergosum at sbcglobal.net
Sat Apr 17 13:29:35 EDT 2010

Vanda,

I am often puzzled by the need of geographics in the Internet. I have always like the term "where East meets North". (do not dwell too long it is a mindbender)
If we keep using the anthropologic notions or territorialism and nationalism when addressing Internet Issues are we not chaining ourselves to boundaries that are more akin to myth and conquerors than International Freedom of Communication.
By geopolitical breakdowns of participation we are allowing the status quoians to define the issues. I dare say that my values and issues are more in line with farmers in Sudan and shopkeepers in Asia than an American lawyer sum President from Chicago.  MLK said that one day we shall judge not by the color of skin or race oR creed but by the character of a man.  Why should we come so far and then regress and begin to judge a man by the accident of geography of birth?